About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Comments On Article: The Diary Of Sarah January 24 -30 1943

1,653 posts (admin)
Tue Jan 17, 23 8:09 AM CST

If you would like to share your comments for article The diary of Sarah January 24 -30 1943, this is where to do it! 

Click the Reply To This Topic button below to post yours.

T
30 posts
Tue Jan 17, 23 1:03 PM CST

Does anyone know what Sarah means by, "Stored some cans in the attic?"  Surely not cans of food, as the temperature swings would make an attic about the worst possible place for that.  Empty cans for recycling, maybe?  But that would seem inconvenient, to put them up in an attic, only to have to haul them down again soon.  Maybe she is calling something else - like empty cookie tins - cans?

L
43 posts
Wed Jan 18, 23 9:41 PM CST
Tea S wrote:

Does anyone know what Sarah means by, "Stored some cans in the attic?"  Surely not cans of food, as the temperature swings would make an attic about the worst possible place for that.  Empty cans for recycling, maybe?  But that would seem inconvenient, to put them up in an attic, only to have to haul them down again soon.  Maybe she is calling something else - like empty cookie tins - cans?

Maybe it will tell us later in the diary if she gets things from the attic.

G Donna - hope you are

D
16 posts
Thu Jan 19, 23 7:49 AM CST

Sarahs days sound very much like my Grandma's when I lived there. Go go go.

G
269 posts (admin)
Thu Jan 19, 23 4:59 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote,  Tea S  I had to do some researching to make sure but the answer was as I thought it might be.  During the 1930s, when doing home canning they used Jars or Cans to do their canning.  Seems the attic would be a good place to store them and the attic could have been a walk up type of attic as well.  People still can with jars and cans today.

A
97 posts
Tue Feb 07, 23 7:52 PM CST
Grandma Donna wrote:

Grandma Donna wrote,  Tea S  I had to do some researching to make sure but the answer was as I thought it might be.  During the 1930s, when doing home canning they used Jars or Cans to do their canning.  Seems the attic would be a good place to store them and the attic could have been a walk up type of attic as well.  People still can with jars and cans today.

I had read somewhere that sometimes the attic was also the 2nd story, but some folks did all their living on the main floor due to age and the time of year. Have you heard that before too?

6 total messages
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close