About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Comments On Article: The Diary Of Sarah April 17 - 23 1932

1,653 posts (admin)
Sat Apr 15, 23 6:24 AM CST

If you would like to share your comments for article The Diary of Sarah April 17 - 23 1932, this is where to do it! 

Click the Reply To This Topic button below to post yours.

A
41 posts
Sat Apr 15, 23 10:07 AM CST

I remember making my first pie which was only about 5 years ago. I was shocked at the time an apple pie took to make, but it was on my bucket list. LOL.  I can't fathom making 5!!!! I'd be there till the next day. LOL

J
48 posts
Tue Apr 18, 23 9:53 AM CST

I feel for Sarah, carrying on with a hurt back.  It makes me wonder how that ended for her.  Did it heal?  Was she in pain for years?  I hope it healed.  Apparently she is expected to carry on with her usual chores in spite of the pain.   

She's also still rolling out those pies, which seems as though it would hurt her back.  I assume she has those fruits for the pies from the previous year's canning.  I'd be interested to see how much sugar, if any, she uses in the pies, beyond what was added to the fruit during canning.  Sugar was not a food everyone could afford to use where my parents were living during the Depression.

I also assume she is using lard in her pies.  Perhaps I've just forgotten, but I can't recall her mentioning processing butter.  Did I miss that?

A
97 posts
Tue Apr 18, 23 12:11 PM CST

As soon as I read she had had a bad fall I thought about how on Sunday I could barely sit during church due to my back hurting from an old break (walking was better for it). I can't remember though how she fell or maybe she didn't mention it. I truly feel her pain as there's nothing anyone can do for it most times. It's amazing what we still can get done when hurting.

Ann had commented above that a pie takes a long time to do. I was the same way!!! I find I can make a pie now quicker than a batch of cookies or brownies. It takes some practice, but you'll get there-just don't give up.

L
1 posts
Sat Apr 22, 23 8:45 AM CST

Thank you for continuing to type out Sarah's diary for us to read. I live in the same area as she did, and it adds an extra layer of special interest for me when I hear her mention the names of the little towns around here.

I was surprised to read that even though she was hurt she still washed Sherley's laundry as well as her own. I wonder if she didn't let on to others how much pain she was feeling? I really hope she will recover fully and soon!

5 total messages
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close