About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Comments On Article: Diary Of Sarah, May 1 - 7, 1932

1,653 posts (admin)
Mon May 01, 23 6:22 AM CST

If you would like to share your comments for article Diary of Sarah, May 1 - 7, 1932, this is where to do it! 

Click the Reply To This Topic button below to post yours.

35 posts
Mon May 01, 23 7:37 AM CST

Well, I am enjoying Sarah's journal but it does make me tired and feel slovenly and lazy to see all the work that she does seemingly with no resentment as to the amount.  I do wonder how early in the morning her morning chores began?

A
41 posts
Mon May 01, 23 9:09 AM CST
victoria w wrote:

Well, I am enjoying Sarah's journal but it does make me tired and feel slovenly and lazy to see all the work that she does seemingly with no resentment as to the amount.  I do wonder how early in the morning her morning chores began?

Yes, I was actually wondering the same thing - how early she begins!  I despise cooking, not baking so much, but I think in most regards I was definitely born in the wrong era, but happy for this era in the cooking area.  I'm thinking they sleep well.

J
48 posts
Mon May 01, 23 2:46 PM CST

I may have missed this - does Sarah's diary mention drawing water from a well or cistern?  I always assumed she had at least a hand pump in her kitchen, and that was why she did the family laundry instead of just her and "father's" laundry.  My husband's grandmother, born in 1870-something, for a long, long time had a handpump in the kitchen on their farm in the backwoods of nowhere.  It was the only running water in the house.  My grandfather's farm had a hand pump at the kitchen sink, but it was replaced by a faucet when the well got an electric pump back before I was born.  It was also the only water in the house. Baths were taken in a tin tub with water heated on the stove.

I would hate to think of doing laundry for more than one family while drawing water by hand.

I assume her back is better since she isn't mentioning it.  I also assume the chickens are laying well, since she has the eggs to make an angel food cake.  

Whatever her situation, though, Sarah is all go, go, go.  

D
3 posts
Tue May 02, 23 5:30 AM CST

Sarah is definitely an inspiration for working hard. Hauling water would be very hard work for sure. My grandmother was a young teenager in the 1930's and she told me about taking a bath in a tin tub in front of the fire when she was younger.

I'm interested in Sarah's speech at the ladies' meeting.

K
65 posts
Thu May 04, 23 5:50 PM CST

Sarah would have had no distractions like the TV or computer in those days. Often if they had a radio it was only turned on in the evening. 

She would have sat to sew, knit,quilt maybe but she could have enjoyed that and as relaxation. 

Today when you are over 60 and still enjoy working hard most days others will tell you you need to slow down or rest. 

Haha..I tell them " you're a long time dead. Better ramp it up "

Sarah is inspiring. 

For those who think they don't work hard you should write down what you do each day. You would be amazed 

Edited Thu May 04, 23 5:51 PM by Karen S
A
97 posts
Tue Jun 06, 23 11:16 AM CST
victoria w wrote:

I recently was reading a historical book and found that most people woke up around 5 am and went to bed anywhere from 8-9. Hope that helps!

A
97 posts
Tue Jun 06, 23 11:18 AM CST
Karen S wrote:

Sarah would have had no distractions like the TV or computer in those days. Often if they had a radio it was only turned on in the evening. 

She would have sat to sew, knit,quilt maybe but she could have enjoyed that and as relaxation. 

Today when you are over 60 and still enjoy working hard most days others will tell you you need to slow down or rest. 

Haha..I tell them " you're a long time dead. Better ramp it up "

Sarah is inspiring. 

For those who think they don't work hard you should write down what you do each day. You would be amazed 

Our grandparents who lived well into their 90's said if you sit or plop you go downhill fast. Always has stuck with my husband and I.

A
97 posts
Tue Jun 06, 23 11:21 AM CST

I have a question on what she means when she says this in the diary for Wednesday, May 4.   

Set 4 hens in B.R. & 1 in lower shed.  

I was assuming it meant dressing them or either putting them in a special spot to hang for smoking the meat? The other thought I had was maybe they were designated to be broody hens? It's probably none of the above. 

K
65 posts
Tue Jun 06, 23 1:24 PM CST
Andrea B wrote:

I have a question on what she means when she says this in the diary for Wednesday, May 4.   

Set 4 hens in B.R. & 1 in lower shed.  

I was assuming it meant dressing them or either putting them in a special spot to hang for smoking the meat? The other thought I had was maybe they were designated to be broody hens? It's probably none of the above. 

Andrea B

I have an American friend who tells me she sets her hens and she's telling me they are clucky and she has eggs under them.

If you have a rooster your eggs will always be fertile.

Edited Tue Jun 06, 23 1:25 PM by Karen S
A
97 posts
Wed Jun 07, 23 7:07 AM CST
Karen S wrote:

Andrea B

I have an American friend who tells me she sets her hens and she's telling me they are clucky and she has eggs under them.

If you have a rooster your eggs will always be fertile.

thank you Karen. I had assumed that meant they go broody so thabk you for letting me know. I love in the USA like your friend. Where are you from?

K
65 posts
Wed Jun 07, 23 2:43 PM CST

I live in New Zealand Andrea B

12 total messages
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close