About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Knitting

G
269 posts (admin)
Sat Jan 07, 23 10:16 AM CST

This room is to share discussion, patterns, and anything about knitting

T
31 posts
Wed Jan 11, 23 5:57 PM CST

Gotta open it somehow. Working on a shawl, which is definitely not something you'd see in the 30s. I do have an old McCall's knitting magazine from the 30s. Because they didn't have a lot of money to spend on yarn, they would buy fine yarn and use it to knit a suit. I read an account by a woman that had done that. I think it took her a couple of years to do it. 

K
67 posts
Fri Jan 13, 23 4:41 PM CST

The other day I did what I could to save the yarn from a knit hat I'd started that the puppy got into (he's 9 months now and he can open the baby gate if the latch isn't locked into place).  I was able to save it all, but as he but through the yarn in several places I now have 5 small balls of yarn.  Same puppy destroyed the hat I'd knit for my dad's Christmas present, and that wasn't salvageable.

So I don't have anything on the needles at present, but I do want to cast on for something soon.  This summer I intend to learn to knit socks, which does seem very 1930s.  But Teri P, I'm confused as to why shawls wouldn't have been knit in the 1930s -- were they out of fashion by then?

K
40 posts
Sat Jan 14, 23 5:28 AM CST
Kimberly F - 

Oh those puppies! We have one too and I have to keep my knitting and crochet baskets off the floor. You'll love knitting socks  and won't want to go back to store bought. I'm not a fan of dpns so I use two 24 inch circular needles for socks. There are great tutorials online. I'll look forward to seeing your projects!

K
48 posts
Sat Jan 14, 23 7:14 PM CST

Hi!!!! I don’t know anyone in real life who knits other than my mum so it’s nice to have somewhere to talk about it. I’m currently knitting several pairs of socks ? I keep one pair upstairs to knit in bed, one downstairs while watching tv and one in my bag for when I’m out) and also a jumper ( sweater). I can’t knit for long and I’ve found if I mix and match what I’m doing it helps keep me knitting for longer. 
I just finished a sock and started the second one. 2.25mm needles and hand dyed wool from Etsy I think but I lost the label. 

Attached Photos

K
40 posts
Sat Jan 14, 23 7:41 PM CST

Kasia  your sock looks wonderful! I really love the yarn- a fun pop of color! You’ll have to post your jumper when you finish it. How amazing is it when you wear your hand knit items? Knitting is so grounding- it slows the mind and eases stress. All of this with the added bonus of producing something wearable. 

K
48 posts
Sat Jan 14, 23 7:48 PM CST
Kathryn P wrote:

Kasia  your sock looks wonderful! I really love the yarn- a fun pop of color! You’ll have to post your jumper when you finish it. How amazing is it when you wear your hand knit items? Knitting is so grounding- it slows the mind and eases stress. All of this with the added bonus of producing something wearable. 

Hand knitted socks are the only way I can keep my feet warm! I do love wearing them. Especially when people comment on how pretty they are and are amazed that I made them. They think it’s really complicated when in reality I make socks without even needing a pattern as it’s so easy 

K
67 posts
Sat Jan 14, 23 7:50 PM CST

Kasia, that is a beautiful sock!  I have small mm dpns for knitting socks and also a tiny little 9 inch circular, and I have the sock yarn -- everything I need!  But knitting hasn't been calling to me much lately -- I've been sewing instead.

K
48 posts
Sat Jan 14, 23 8:07 PM CST
Kimberly F wrote:

Kasia, that is a beautiful sock!  I have small mm dpns for knitting socks and also a tiny little 9 inch circular, and I have the sock yarn -- everything I need!  But knitting hasn't been calling to me much lately -- I've been sewing instead.

I use both dpn’s or magic loop method. I can’t manage very well with the small circulars as my hands get too stiff with those. 
I like socks as they’re small and easy to pick up. I’d like to do more sewing but it’s hard to find the space for my machine. 

G
269 posts (admin)
Sun Jan 15, 23 5:01 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, Kasia A, you knit beautifully, thank you for sharing your knitted sock and how you keep your projects in different areas.  You are an inspiration to all of us, makes me want to pick up one of my unfinished projects and get to work. 

K
48 posts
Sun Jan 15, 23 5:24 PM CST
Grandma Donna wrote:

Grandma Donna wrote, Kasia A, you knit beautifully, thank you for sharing your knitted sock and how you keep your projects in different areas.  You are an inspiration to all of us, makes me want to pick up one of my unfinished projects and get to work. 

Thank you so much for your kind words. You made me smile. 

S
92 posts
Fri Jan 20, 23 4:32 PM CST

Kasia A, that is like the best sock ever! I didn't even know hand-knitted socks could look like that. Grandma Donna is right -- you are an inspiration!

K
48 posts
Sun Feb 19, 23 3:15 AM CST
Stephanie G wrote:

Kasia A, that is like the best sock ever! I didn't even know hand-knitted socks could look like that. Grandma Donna is right -- you are an inspiration!

That’s so kind of you. Here’s some more I made previously. I don’t often wear store bought ones now. I much prefer my knitted ones. 

Attached Photos

K
40 posts
Sun Feb 19, 23 4:57 AM CST

These are beautiful!

S
17 posts
Tue Feb 21, 23 7:50 AM CST

Kasia A.  your socks are beautiful. I agree with you that knit socks are much warmer then regular  store bought socks, they are the only ones that keep my feet warm too:) 
In an effort to save money and live more simply I am trying to make as many gifts as possible this year from yarn I already have.  I just made this hat for my sister for her birthday and thought I’d share.  Is anyone else making gifts or trying to use what they have 

Attached Photos

Sheri
E
17 posts
Thu Mar 02, 23 5:41 PM CST

@Kasia A those socks are beautiful, I bet they are warmer and also last for many years too! 

@Sheri R the beanie is beautiful, I love the colours and the design. Your sister is bound to love it. 

K
48 posts
Sun Mar 12, 23 3:32 PM CST
Sheri R wrote:

Kasia A.  your socks are beautiful. I agree with you that knit socks are much warmer then regular  store bought socks, they are the only ones that keep my feet warm too:) 
In an effort to save money and live more simply I am trying to make as many gifts as possible this year from yarn I already have.  I just made this hat for my sister for her birthday and thought I’d share.  Is anyone else making gifts or trying to use what they have 

Your hat is amazing! 

I’ve made gloves and socks before for gifts. I’ll make my mum more socks this year but nobody else really likes knitted things. 

G
269 posts (admin)
Sun Mar 12, 23 8:33 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, I am with Sheri and I hope we get more people posting what they are making. :) Thank you Sheri, I love your hat and your blanket on the other topic.  Some lovely socks up above too. I am determined to learn to make socks!

T
31 posts
Wed Mar 15, 23 12:22 PM CST

Sorry, I have been dealing with work issues and not online as much. Shawls seem to have gone out of fashion by the 30s. Womens' clothes changed a lot and I guess folks wanted something else. I have been doing some Truly Myrtle patterns. I am going to try and make one of her summer tops. I don't like knitting cotton, but will give it a try. 

I recommend Little Knits for sock yarns. They do closeout yarns so prices are good. I always stock up when they have a sale. I was making socks for Christmas presents but my hands are giving me problems. I keep at it. I have a lot of projects I want to do and a lot of yarn to knit. And I need to spin up more of the fiber I have. I may be retiring soon and am looking forward to doing things around the house.

19 total messages
Topic Closed.
This post has been viewed 887 times

Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close