About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Gardening

G
269 posts (admin)
Sat Jan 07, 23 10:24 AM CST

This room is to talk about gardening, share tips and ideas, share photos or general chat about gardening.

Edited Sat Jan 07, 23 10:56 AM by Grandma Donna
14 posts
Sun Jan 08, 23 11:51 AM CST

Does anybody know about gardening on a slope in the Red Hills area of Alabama? I sure need some tips. I'm thinking about a muscadine vineyard but I'm afraid the deer will destroy it. Any ideas?  

Love Never Fails
G
269 posts (admin)
Sun Jan 08, 23 12:19 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, Patty D, I will start with this and hope someone that lives on a slope and gardens will answer.  There is a youtube channel called Little House on a Mountain there is no "the" before Little, they live on a mountain slope and have a chicken house and Lea Gardens by gathering soil under leaves and moving things about, she finds a spot and digs down and plants.  I notice that she banks a little bit to hold the soil, she has little paths around and she grows herbs and vegetables. James and Lea, their doggies and chickens live on a beautiful sloped mountain hill above a large lake.  The property our little house we call Myrtle is on is on a similar slope and the property looks much like James and Lea. I plan on doing some light gardening similar to the way they do, I may do a bit more banking if needed or it might all flow downhill.  I have noticed that she keeps a lot of mulch around her plants that helps to keep them in place.

Edited Sun Jan 08, 23 12:20 PM by Grandma Donna
14 posts
Sun Jan 08, 23 1:50 PM CST

GDonna, thanks so much for the lead on the YouTube channel. I will definitely check them out. I may just have to resort to some nice ground cover because its so steep. Like billy goat steep. We thought about terracing, but it'd be out of our budget. I've been avidly reading all your posts about your place on the lake. It looks great and what a neat project. Thanks again.     

Love Never Fails
R
7 posts
Tue Jan 10, 23 2:58 AM CST

Patty D I have no idea about what type of plants grow best where you are, but if your slope is facing sun most of the day (north in Australia where I am, so I guess south if you're in the USA?) then you can plant so many types of things on a slope, from vegetables to a full food forest. Terracing can be very expensive, but this lady near where I used to live, used scrap timber and heat-treated pallets that she sourced for free, to stabilise the soil and create a very productive food forest. You can see it in this video, how she did it. The video only goes for about 7 minutes and shows a lot of her property as well as the steep slope. Just an idea that may work for you.

https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/how-to/my-garden-...

L
19 posts
Wed Jan 11, 23 9:07 AM CST

I have taken on a starter plot allotment, it measures 13ft by 14ft. I am hoping to be able to grow as many veg as possible for myself. It's obviously not the time of the year now in Scotland, but I can start seeds off in about March in the communal greenhouses. I'd like to get up there before then to dig out some weeks and plants I don't want to be there. But it was too icy/snowy and is now too wet. I am a bit scared of going there by myself, but there is nobody else. I think if I can just find company the first time that will make it easier. It is only about 15 minutes away so I am sure I will get used to it. 

C
8 posts
Wed Jan 11, 23 6:05 PM CST
Laura B wrote:

I have taken on a starter plot allotment, it measures 13ft by 14ft. I am hoping to be able to grow as many veg as possible for myself. It's obviously not the time of the year now in Scotland, but I can start seeds off in about March in the communal greenhouses. I'd like to get up there before then to dig out some weeks and plants I don't want to be there. But it was too icy/snowy and is now too wet. I am a bit scared of going there by myself, but there is nobody else. I think if I can just find company the first time that will make it easier. It is only about 15 minutes away so I am sure I will get used to it. 

Oh Laura B if only we lived closer I would either accompany you or welcome you here on the farm to start your own plot. Starting your seeds off early sounds like a great idea. I hope you find a gardening buddy and your harvests are bountiful. 

G
269 posts (admin)
Sun Jan 15, 23 5:19 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, Laura B, I have always been fascinated with community gardens and allotments around the world.  I wish that they were everywhere.  I hope soon many will come to the one you wish to work in and you will make friends and be safer with everyone there.  I and most likely everyone here would love to see your allotment this year.  I hope everyone shares their garden pictures this year.  We too are having much too cold weather but it soon will be time and just this morning Charles and I were discussing when we need to get our starts planted. 

A
97 posts
Thu Feb 02, 23 10:13 AM CST

We harvested our sweet potatoes for the first time ever after trying to get them to grow for many years. Upon harvesting them we noticed some were black and others were a regular sweet potato color. What would cause that? They do seem fine. We are going to start eating them here soon, but wasn't sure what would make them that color. They've cured for a while now.

G
269 posts (admin)
Thu Feb 02, 23 1:44 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, Andrea B, I am not sure about what made them black unless they are a different variety.  When you cut into it does the flesh look good, orange or white?  My suggestion is to take one to your county extension service to find out about it.  We have used our county extension service to help us identify plants or a problem with a plant. what they are or a problem with a plant.  Sometimes feed and seed places will be able to answer some questions.  We never had a mulberry tree before until a few years ago, this tree came up and grew rapidly.  It was in a terrible location but we wanted to know what it was.  So Charles clipped off a small limb with leaves and they identified it for us as a mulberry tree.  Once it got big enough to make fruit we have been enjoying mulberries from this tree. I hope you can find out.

A
97 posts
Fri Feb 03, 23 1:17 PM CST
Grandma Donna wrote:

Grandma Donna wrote, Andrea B, I am not sure about what made them black unless they are a different variety.  When you cut into it does the flesh look good, orange or white?  My suggestion is to take one to your county extension service to find out about it.  We have used our county extension service to help us identify plants or a problem with a plant. what they are or a problem with a plant.  Sometimes feed and seed places will be able to answer some questions.  We never had a mulberry tree before until a few years ago, this tree came up and grew rapidly.  It was in a terrible location but we wanted to know what it was.  So Charles clipped off a small limb with leaves and they identified it for us as a mulberry tree.  Once it got big enough to make fruit we have been enjoying mulberries from this tree. I hope you can find out.

That's a great idea! I will have to try that. Since we have never gotten them to grow and then some come out black it's really puzzled us. I haven't cut into one yet, but will be here very soon since it's on the menu. :) I found last night the name of the farm I got them from. I'm going to email them some photos and see what they say. Your mulberry is beautiful! I think I remember a post about that many many years ago. What sorts of things can you do with a mulberry besides eating fresh? I'd like to plant some at our property. 

A
97 posts
Fri Feb 03, 23 1:22 PM CST
Patty D wrote:

Does anybody know about gardening on a slope in the Red Hills area of Alabama? I sure need some tips. I'm thinking about a muscadine vineyard but I'm afraid the deer will destroy it. Any ideas?  

We are going to be expanding our garden on a slope as well. My plan is to build up the sides with either using a piece of equipment to do so or by using some method such as pine boards with wood chips and such. I'm planning on also using mixed in things that will help hold the soil back such as rocks, pine boards, etc. It's in a spot that most won't ever see so I'm looking on Pinterest currently and old books for more ideas. We have problems with everything from deer, bears, bobcats, etc too, but we just put up some kind of fencing that's tall to keep them away. Electric netting you use for poultry is also a good cheap choice and is very effective. 

G
269 posts (admin)
Fri Feb 03, 23 3:46 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote,  Andrea B, to answer your question What sorts of things can you do with a mulberry besides eating fresh?  We make jelly and jam and water bath can it. They can be canned as they are in the lightest simple syrup or no syrup.  They make wonderful pies and they can be put in pancakes. :)

Edited Fri Feb 03, 23 3:46 PM by Grandma Donna
A
97 posts
Mon Feb 06, 23 10:31 AM CST
Grandma Donna wrote:

Grandma Donna wrote,  Andrea B, to answer your question What sorts of things can you do with a mulberry besides eating fresh?  We make jelly and jam and water bath can it. They can be canned as they are in the lightest simple syrup or no syrup.  They make wonderful pies and they can be put in pancakes. :)

I didn't know that. I will definitely keep my eyes out for some plants and put them at the property. They sound delicious!

T
27 posts
Wed Mar 15, 23 12:32 PM CST

I am going to put in raised beds. I hate the idea, because you have to spend so much on containers and soil. But I am thinking ahead to when I may not be able to do as much physically. It's a small yard and I don't want to fence off a garden area. Having beds should keep the dog out of them. I ordered some berry bushes from Starks, which need to be planted this week! Still too early to put much in the ground here. We seem to alternate between milder days and cold ones. I am in the getting ready phase right now.

G
269 posts (admin)
Thu Mar 16, 23 8:20 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, Teri P, Charles Dowding on youtube has some great ideas how to do no dig beds and raised beds without framing.  If you do not already know about his method you can just type his name in the search on YouTube.  I enjoy his videos, oh to have a garden that looks like his. :)

E
12 posts
Tue Mar 28, 23 7:56 AM CST

Hello!  Does anyone have experience with an established grape vine that seems to have a possible disease?  We moved into our home several years ago and have not had a successful harvest yet.  the grapes were well established when we moved in.  We prune them in the early spring and they have vigorous growth and produce grapes.  However, before ripening the grapes shrivel.  We have not used any spray as we try to maintain things organically.  Can they be saved?  I really would hate to have to tear them out.  Thank you for any advice or thoughts.

Elizabeth
17 total messages
Topic Closed.
This post has been viewed 771 times

Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close