About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Canning And Food Preservation

G
269 posts (admin)
Sat Jan 07, 23 10:38 AM CST

This room is to share your canning photos, share information and discuss canning, fermenting, freezing and dehydrating. Please check first and make sure that it is a safe approved canning method by the national food preservation standards. We want everyone to be safe. Food preservation is a very important topic from in the past as well as today. 

K
40 posts
Sat Jan 07, 23 4:28 PM CST

I had some extra apples today and since my oldest grandson is on an applesauce kick, I thought I'd can a small batch. I like to leave the skins on and use a potato masher to keep the sauce a little chunky. It made 4 pints with a little left to go with our beef and barley soup tonight.

Attached Photos

G
269 posts (admin)
Sat Jan 07, 23 5:59 PM CST

Kathryn P, that is good doing small batches, anything to add to the shelf is good and keep our produce from going bad.  Your Grandson will be happy.  This evening I took a pint of home canned chicken off the shelf and made chicken fritters with onion, egg, flour and salt and pepper.  Charles loves chicken fritters.  Used the leftover oil to make some gravy to go over some mashed potatoes.  To me having canned food is like having instant fast food. 

K
40 posts
Sat Jan 07, 23 6:57 PM CST

Grandma Donna, that is so true! I love to shop my pantry and having meals in jars makes for a quick meal when one is needed. I'll look for your chicken fritter recipe on your blog - they sound delicious and I'd like to make them. Charles is a lucky man!

K
17 posts
Sat Feb 11, 23 9:41 PM CST

Yesterday I made a roasted chicken that was on sale. I laid it over potatoes, onion, celery, and carrots that were laid over 4 strips of bacon. I cut way too many vegetables. We ate the whole chicken but then I had two quarts of vegetables left over. Today I took them, a quart of home canned chicken broth and a quart of home canned turkey and boiled them all together. I had about a cup of cooked Jasmine rice from left overs that needed to be used up so I threw that in too. I served this with home made bread. I have been trying to find ways of using our home canned turkey since we have a lot of it from turkey sales. I think I'll be doing this meal again.  

5 total messages
Topic Closed.
This post has been viewed 575 times

Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close