About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Hand Sewing

G
269 posts (admin)
Sat Jan 07, 23 10:53 AM CST

This room is for discussion about sewing by hand, types of stitches, anyone with with experience with hand stitching we welcome your information and advice.  Anyone with questions related to this topic post them here and we will all try to help you find your answer. You can post photos of items you have made by hand or close up stitches.  

K
65 posts
Sat Jan 07, 23 6:52 PM CST

I posted the skirt I made today here as wasn't sure where else to put it.

This skirt was made from a duvet cover that cost me $2.50 at an opportunity shop. I didn't even use the back of it which is plain but could make a blouse or backing for a quilt.

I now tell people to look at sheets and duvet covers to upcycle for clothing.... nighties, skirts, tops, aprons. I don't buy just anything going but am very pleased with what I have got which is fit for purpose and I believe doing this embraces the mindset of the GD.

Quilts called crazy quilts were made in that Era when not one scrap of fabric was wasted. There are also patterns online for Depression Quilts.

Attached Photos

G
269 posts (admin)
Sat Jan 07, 23 7:21 PM CST

Karen S, what a lovely skirt and I would have never thought of using a duvet to make a skirt!  Thank you for sharing your very thrifty idea. You ended up with something beautiful for $2.50. :)

K
3 posts
Sun Jan 08, 23 1:59 AM CST

I agree Karen, this is a great way to sew on a budget. I started using sheets from the op shop to make nighties and pyjama pants for my family a few years ago and it has saved me so much money. I also made a dress from a doona cover which I wear at home all summer. I love your skirt!

K
65 posts
Sun Jan 08, 23 3:18 AM CST

Thank you Kristy. So lovely we think alike re fabric and upcycling. I'd love to see your dress

Edited Sun Jan 08, 23 3:19 AM by Karen S
K
40 posts
Sun Jan 08, 23 3:42 PM CST
Karen S

- what a pretty skirt! And so clever and thrifty of you as well.

K
3 posts
Sun Jan 08, 23 3:47 PM CST

My doona cover dress - very light and comfortable!

Attached Photos

K
65 posts
Sun Jan 08, 23 4:04 PM CST

Thank you Kathyrn P

Kristy T....I love your Doona cover dress. No one would know where the fabric came from.

G
269 posts (admin)
Sun Jan 08, 23 4:36 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, Karen S and Kristy T, your skirt and your dress are so pretty and so clever, what a wonderful way to save money on clothing.  I am happy you shared these.  Anyone that does sewing we would love to see what you made, purchased cloth, recycled or whatever it is, clothing or anything else. 

P
3 posts
Mon Jan 09, 23 8:22 AM CST

I love the skirt and dress. I have a thrifted blue sheet with small white dots, that I dream of making into a summer dress. I have a desire to make it entirely by hand. Thanks for the inspiration.

K
40 posts
Mon Jan 09, 23 11:49 AM CST

Kristy P - I love your dress! It'll be perfect for the summer weather (or maybe it's summer where you live now?). 

I'm not yet able to sew garments but want to learn. I posted this originally under sewing for the home, but moved it to this forum topic.  I sewed some place mats and a couple matching napkins from leftover fabric used for a quilt. They were quite easy to make and now I'm thinking about making  sets of 4 as gifts.  My husband and I talked about only giving homemade gifts this year anyway...

Attached Photos

K
65 posts
Mon Jan 09, 23 3:21 PM CST

Kristy P. I love the fabric you used in your gorgeous  placemats and napkins.

Making them as gifts is a brilliant idea. Homemade gifts are always special as the gift is the time and love you put into them.

I am sure you will get there sewing garments.  I began sewing A line skirts...quick and simple. Be encouraged :-)

Edited Mon Jan 09, 23 3:22 PM by Karen S
G
269 posts (admin)
Mon Jan 09, 23 3:51 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, Kristy P, I sew more for my home more than any kind of sewing. Napkins, curtains, most anything I want to make.  I can sew garments but do not enjoy using patterns because of sizing. I would rather take a garment that is worn and ready for discard, but still fits well, and rip the threads from the seams and press the pieces and use that old garment as a pattern.  You can remove the buttons if it has buttons and reuse them as well.  Then fold the old garment and put it somewhere to store and use again as a pattern if it is something comfortable that you enjoy wearing.  This might be a good way to learn to sew garments.  Start with something simple such as an apron or skirt. 

K
40 posts
Tue Jan 10, 23 5:10 AM CST

Grandma Donna - thank you for that suggestion. It's just the worst when something fits like a charm but is so worn and ragged, it needs to go. I'll try it!

It's peaceful to be able to look around our home and see handmade items - afghans, quilts, placemats and napkins. It makes everything feel so much more cozy.

Karen S - thank you for your kind words and suggestion to make an A-line skirt. I remember we started with that in 7th grade sewing class. I'll look for a pattern and do that. A-line skirts are very wearable too. :))

K
48 posts
Sun Feb 19, 23 2:03 AM CST

I couldn’t find a topic for machine sewing and can’t seem to be able to create one. Would someone please make one as I just sewed my first ever skirt and wanted to share photos and talk about my machine ( 1905 handcrank Singer) but didn’t want to intrude on hand sewing. Thank you in advance :) 

K
40 posts
Sun Feb 19, 23 5:00 AM CST

I just used this topic for machine sewing as well. If another topic is started, I can try to move my post..

16 total messages
Topic Closed.
This post has been viewed 794 times

Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close