About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Simple, Old-fashioned Family Entertainment And Activities

E
17 posts
Sun Jan 15, 23 4:21 PM CST

Our family is always looking for affordable and simple things to do together as a family when we need a change of scenery from our homestead. We often look into the past for inspiration and I thought people might like to share their ideas, experiences and memories on the topic. 

Yesterday we went fishing and swimming at a pretty place on the coast. We took a picnic of homemade bread, butter and spreads of honey and vegemite. There were also homemade oat biscuits(cookies) and drink bottles of tap water. I brought a bread knife/butter knife, a wooden chopping board and the portion of butter in an old small jar. Things were wrapped in teatowels and cloth so there was no waste. We packed a modern sun shade and lay a big blanket under it for our picnic. The boys fished and we all swam together. We kept it simple and it was a wonderful and much-needed day out. Though we sadly didn't catch any fish of a keepable size. I brought a small doll for Elsie and her teddy if she wanted quiet time/nap in the shade (2yrs), and a book for myself but none of those were used. Aside from that the 3 boys had their rods, a small tackle box bait and we all had hats and towels. 

We noticed that most families brought with them mountains of 'things'. Kayaks, blow-up plastic toys, paddle boards, balls and goodness knows what else. As well as the necessities of shelter, food and drinks. It must have taken them ages to get ready, making a trip to the beach a big effort, rather than a small one.

I would love to hear memories and occasions people have enjoyed that tie in with the old-fashioned theme, links to articles or ideas of what families during this era used to do for entertainment, names of games played, and the details of what a nice family day/night might have looked like, what was eaten and what was brought and even how things were packaged to keep cool/warm and how they would be enjoyed etc. xx 

Edited Sun Jan 15, 23 4:24 PM by Emma C
k
12 posts
Mon Jan 16, 23 6:29 AM CST

Sounds like you had a beautiful day!! We are not strictly following this study but plan to implement some ideas. We are trading our eating out for drives/picnics. I have a picnic basket that I will use and keep it simple. I know badminton was played so we will set that up when it's warmer. We live on the water so we will continue swimming, fishing, crabbing, beachcombing,and boat rides. We intend to make ice cream the old ways instead of grabbing it at the grocery  We will set up some berry picking days with grandkids and friends . I am looking forward to hearing others ideas and adventures!

R
12 posts
Sun Feb 26, 23 1:35 PM CST

I think this is a wonderful topic and hope more will chime in! It's been a long winter here in Iowa and yesterday my daughter called and asked if we would want to go for a walk at a county park halfway between her place and ours. My husband, 11 year old son, and I met up with our daughter and her two children and we spent the whole afternoon walking the trails and playing on the play equipment. A much needed outing for all!

We plan to spend a few days this summer with my folks, my sister and my four kids and their families. We will be staying in an Air BnB for three nights that is situated in the country. Our plan is to enjoy the neighboring state park and otherwise stay put at the cabin/barn and bring our own entertainment. I would love any ideas! I'm going to keep my eye out for a badminton set at the thrift stores and our family enjoys playing bags, UNO and other card games. Any other ideas?  I'm really pushing for everyone to bring their own food and games so we can make this more about family time and less about eating out and spending money!

J
50 posts
Wed Mar 01, 23 11:35 AM CST

Rhonda M,

My dad had a large family, as he was one of seven siblings, and when we all gathered at the holidays we always had 2 card tables set out with a big puzzle for any and everyone to work on, Monopoly, dominoes and card games such as Uno and Mille Bornes.  We had a badminton set, croquet set and a whiffle ball set.  Today I would include a Frisbee and a soccer ball.  One of the most popular games was "washers", like horseshoes, only they used cheap large flat washer from the hardware store and instead of using stakes to catch with a horseshoe, they dug little holes that the washers had to land in and not bounce back out.  

R
12 posts
Thu Mar 02, 23 8:35 AM CST

Joan S - Thanks for the suggestions! A puzzle would be a great thing to take along! And dominoes. We used to play that all the time when my older kids were little. We actually have a washer game around here somewhere that we used to take camping. The more entertainment I can provide the better to keep everyone away from their devices!

E
17 posts
Thu Mar 02, 23 5:35 PM CST

Rhonda there is a great board game called Hive my children love, it's a strategy game like chess but with far fewer pieces and simpler rules. It is a really fun game for people from all generations and packs into a little case with sturdy game pieces. We have found that even quite young children can pick up the rules easily. We often take it out an about as it doesn't take up much room and can be played in 15 minutes. 

R
12 posts
Fri Mar 03, 23 8:19 AM CST

Emma C, 

I will definitely look into this game. It sounds like one my grandson would really enjoy. Thank you!

7 total messages
Topic Closed.
This post has been viewed 644 times

Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close