About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

The Watering Hole

G
269 posts (admin)
Wed Jan 18, 23 5:03 AM CST

This room is for conversations about water conservation and simple ways that we save water. Conserving water is getting to be so important today.  Even if we live somewhere that we have plenty of water, we should not waste it and we never know when a problem can occur that would cause us a short supply or no supply of water.  Just in our city alone, we have water disruptions at times.  We all need water, our plants need water when we have no rain. So it is a balancing act to figure out ways to save water from one area to use in another area. 

Charles and I have been working on reducing our water use for many years and we continue to do so. We actually have laws in our state that do not allow us to use grey water to water our trees and plants. This is very frustrating. To be able to use our greywater we would have to have special filtering in place and we are trying to find out exactly what that is. For now we try our best and reduce our indoor water use so we can use the drinking water for the plants. We save the cold water that is coming out of the faucet while we are waiting for warm water. Dishwater can be used to flush the toilet and so can bath water. 

We have rain barrels but we need to reorganize our catchment, some of you have large rainwater systems, please share your knowledge about collecting rainwater. Tell us what you do to conserve water in and around the home. Do you have laws in your state that prevent you from collecting rainwater or reusing your greywater?  Share your tips on how to use less water. 
Edited Wed Jan 18, 23 5:05 AM by Grandma Donna
K
3 posts
Sat Feb 18, 23 2:08 PM CST

We have a small garden shed which we rigged up to catch the rain during the winter via a gutter to fill four water barrels which are connected to each other; when one barrel is full, the water then goes via a tube into the next barrel.  This is the only water for our vegetable garden.  It cost quite a bit to buy the barrels & the connections but it was vital for us to do because our garden is not next to our house or any other supply of water.  Last summer (we're in England), we had a drought and it was this set-up which meant we were still able to water our vegetable plants.  (I think that you may use different words for gutters or water barrels in America or Australia but I don't know what they are!)

2 total messages
Topic Closed.
This post has been viewed 473 times

Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close