About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

No Stinky Here

G
269 posts (admin)
Wed Jan 18, 23 5:09 AM CST

This room is for conversations about composting, soil improvements and amendments, How to make our own plant food. Well, maybe it might be a bit stinky. A place to share photos of your dirt or your pretty compost pile whichever it is, we will look at it and be supportive.  

Composting is a very interesting thing to do.  We buy or grow our produce, we take the scraps, throw them in a pile and it turns into dirt.  The leaves and branches fall from the trees, we gather them and put them in a pile and that turns into dirt.  Our grass grows and we gather the discard and throw it in a pile and it turns into dirt.  But there is a little bit more in-between, it is kind of like a salad. We layer these different brown and greens and toss it around. We do not compost any meat or oils so there are no rodents and problems other than the year Chipmunks decided to make a den in our compost pile. 

We have two different compost areas, a purchased compost bin on our patio and a bit larger compost area in our backyard. We had many trials with our compost pile because of tree roots love the nourishment from the compost. So we have put ours on a solid base. 
Do you compost your waste?  Do you do worm composting?  Do you do below ground composting (digging down and burying your scraps)  What type of compost area do you have? Do you have any good recipes to make plant food?  Tell us how you make dirt we would like to know. 
S
92 posts
Fri Jan 20, 23 4:14 PM CST

My garden is divided into twelve sections, and our compost pile gets one of them, We move it each year to a new section so that it improves the soil all over the garden. Things always grow best the year they get to be where the compost pile was the year before. This year the potatoes are getting the old compost pile section.

G
269 posts (admin)
Fri Jan 20, 23 4:43 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote,  Stephanie G, that is a really good idea and so glad you shared that with us all.

E
12 posts
Fri Jan 20, 23 9:01 PM CST

That's a really good idea, Stephanie!  I might try that this year!  Thanks for sharing.  Grandma Donna, can you share more about how the tree roots affected your compost?  Currently, our main bin is at the back edge of our property line near a tree line.  Thank you.

Elizabeth
G
269 posts (admin)
Sat Jan 21, 23 10:04 AM CST

Grandma Donna wrote,  Elizabeth M, we have many trees in and surrounding our yard and there is always a battle and it takes no time for the tree roots to find the compost pile no matter where we move it.  We put our current compost pile on top of pavement/stepping stones and the roots still work their way through.  We have one store bought composter on our patio and that one works good but we need more compost that what that one will make and also we need a working pile and a resting pile.  our yard is the shape of a elongated narrow triangle.  It is a rather small yard. 

My neighbor Mr. Al, in his 90's, now past for many years, he would walk out with his bucket of scraps about once a week and take them out and bury them in his yard where he gardened and he would know where he buried last and kept moving his spot. His cabbages that he grew in that garden space were beautiful but his yard was large enough to shift the garden. I think that is a very good simple way too. I keep thinking of how to do that in our garden, we need every bit of space to grow.  Resting the pile is when we get into trouble and the roots take over.

E
12 posts
Mon Jan 23, 23 12:15 PM CST

Thank you, Grandma Donna.  Usually, in the early spring  when I don't have a lot planted, I will bury my scraps throughout the garden.  I'm hoping to try to do more of that throughout the summer, but it is hard to dig amongst the established plants as my garden beds are small and densely planted. I am trying to figure out a solution.  Something I do when planting tomatoes, pepper plants, etc, is to dig the hole deeper than needed, drop in some scraps, top the scraps with a few inches of soil, and then add the plant.  

Elizabeth
6 total messages
Topic Closed.
This post has been viewed 563 times

Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close