About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

The Potager Baby Nursery

G
269 posts (admin)
Wed Jan 18, 23 5:22 AM CST

This room is for conversations about seed starting and taking care of seedlings, sharing our experiences, failures and successes.  Also a place to share photos of your baby seedlings and we can all be there for support when it is time to send them out into the world. 

Seed planting is such an exciting time. We get to watch a tiny little seed turn into a plant that can produce food to feed our family. A plant is a living thing, we plant the seed, the plant is born and grows. We should learn all about what it needs so we can give it the best chance to survive. Our vegetable plants have a time span from when we plant the seed to the time of maturity. That is from planting the seed to harvest. A danvers carrot's average maturity is 70 days. That is from planting the seed to harvest.  A Poinsett 76 cucumber is 65 days to maturity. So we look on the calendar and mark when we planted the seed and we will know when to expect harvest. We know that plants do well with a companion if it is the right companion, we learn what we can plant our baby plant next to before we put it out in the garden. 

Do you have babies in the nursery?  Do you have a garden planner?  We would love to hear about your nursery babies. 

G
269 posts (admin)
Mon Feb 06, 23 8:05 AM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, it has been 18 days since I started the first spring seeds.  I am trying to grow these plants without any type of special lights.  I have been starting out in the morning on a ledge that gets morning sun.  I then move them to a clear tote and put them out in the sun.  I keep the lid off it the temperature is warm enough and lid loose if cold.  The sun will create heat inside the tote and can create too much heat so this has to be adjusted.  But so far all is well and on very nice days I put them out on a patio table.  

I made a mini greenhouse on my window ledge with plastic wrap to keep from having to use use grow lights. I simple put wrap partially up my window screen and attached a piece to that and pull it over and clip it to the window handles.  I unclip the handle part when it is time to let the window back down. 

Today I will be planting more seeds and I will be doing this several more weeks until the soil warms enough for the direct sow seeds.  Are you planting seeds this year?

Attached Photos

2 total messages
Topic Closed.
This post has been viewed 442 times

Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close